Daniel William Anderson
Professor of Wildlife Biology
Office: 1081 Academic Surge
Avian ecology, especially marine birds; raptors; waterfowl; endangered species; pollution ecology; management of endangered and non-game species.
1. Resource Inventories and Management Recommendations for Marine Birds and Mammals Utilizing State Parks on the California Coast.
2. Marine Bird Ecology and Management in the California Current Region.
3. Pollution Hazards from Agricultural and Related Practices and the Use of Wildlife as Indicators.
4. Damage Assessment Evaluation (Through Behavior and Ecology Studies) of Selected Seabird Species Affected by Oil-fouling.
5. Studies of the Swainson's Hawk: Relationships of Distribution, Behavior and Reproduction to Land-use and Flood-control Projects.
6. Effects of Organo-mercury and Organo-chlorine Contaminants on Western Grebes and Osprey in the Clear Lake Ecosystem.
7. Long-term Studies of Seabirds in the Gulf of California, Mexico.
8. Long-term Status of White Pelicans Utilizing Water-development Projects in California and the Effects of Drought.
- Bachelor of Science in Zoology, North Dakota State University–1961
- Officer, US Army Guided Missile Unit Commander training–1962-1964
- Master of Science in Wildlife Ecology, University of Wisconsin, Madison–1967
- PhD. in Wildlife Ecology and Zoology, University of Wisconsin, Madison–1970
- 1996 _____, F. Gress, and D. M. Fry. Survival and dispersal of oiled brown pelicans after rehabilitation and release. Marine Pollution Bulletin 32: 711-718.
- 1997 Cahill, T. M., B. P. Perley, and _____. X-Ray analyses of elemental concentrations in feathers: comparison of XRF and PIXE. International Journal of PIXE 7(1 & 2):53-69.
- 1997 Gaunt, A. S., L. W. Oring, K. P. Able, _____, L. F. Baptista, J. C. Barlow, and J. C. Wingfield. Guidelines to the use of wild birds in research. Ornithological Council Special Publication 97:1-52.
- 1997 _____, T. M. Cahill, T. H. Suchanek, and R. A. Elbert. Relationships between mercury and yearly trends in osprey reproduction and reproductive status at Clear Lake. Proceedings Annual Clear Lake Science and Management Symposium 1:66-70.
- 1997 Cahill, T. M., _____, B. Perley, and T. H. Suchanek. Concentrations of mercury and other elements in five species of birds at Clear Lake. Proceedings Annual Clear Lake Science and Management Symposium 1:71-81.
- 1998 Elbert, R. A., and _____. Mercury levels, reproduction, and hematology in western grebes from three California lakes, USA. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 17(2): 210-213.
- 1998 Cahill, T. M., _____, R. A. Elbert, B. P. Perley, and D. R. Johnson. Elemental profiles in feather samples from a mercury-contaminated lake in central California. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 35:75-81.
- 1998 _____. Evaluation and impact of multiple-stressors on ecosystems: three classic case histories. Pp. 3-7 in Multiple Stresses In Ecosystems, J. J. Cech, Jr., B. W. Wilson, and D. G. Crosby, (eds.). Lewis Publishers, New York.
- 1999 _____, S. H. Newman, P. R. Kelly, S. K. Herzog, and K. P. Lewis. An experimental soft-release of oil-spill rehabilitated American coots (Fulica americana): I. Lingering effects on survival, condition, and behavior. Environmental Pollution 108:1-10.
- 1999 S. H. Newman, _____, M. H. Ziccardi, J. G. Trupkiewicz, F. S. Tseng, M. M. Christopher, and J. G. Zinkl. An experimental soft-release of oil-spill rehabilitated American coots (Fulica americana): II. Effects on health and blood parameters. Environmental Pollution 107:1-10.
- 1999 Alvarez-Barrego, S., _____, G. Fernandez de la Garza, J. Letey, M. R. Matsumoto, G. T. Orlob, J. V. Palerm, and K. Vincent. Alternative futures for the Salton Sea. UCMEXUS Border Water Project, Issue Paper 1:1-23.
- 2000 Palacios, E., _____, E. Mellink, and S. Gonzales-Guzman. Distribution and abundance of burrowing owls on the peninsula and islands of Baja California. Western Birds 31:89-
- 2001 _____, F. Gress, H. R. Carter, P. R. Kelly, and A. D. MacCall. Marine bird resources. Pp. 541-550 in W. S. Leet, C. M. Dewees, R. Klingbeil, and E. J. Larson (Eds.), California’s Living Marine Resources: a Status Report. California Department of Fish and Game, Sacramento, CA.
- 2001 _____, and E. Velarde. Birds of the sea. Pp. 137-155 in P. Robles-Gil, E. Ezcurra, and E. Mellink (Eds.), The Gulf of California: a World Apart. Agropacion Sierra Madre, Mexico City, MX.
- 2003 _____. Overview: the Colorado River Delta Ecosystem: Ecological issues at the U.S.–Mexico border. Pp. 1069-1070 in D. J. Rapport, W. L. Lasley, D. E. Rolston, N. O. Nielsen, C. Q. Qualset, and A. B. Damania (Eds.), Managing for Healthy Ecosystems. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL USA. 1184 pp.
- 2003 _____, E. Palacios, E. Mellink, and C. Valdes-Casillas. Migratory bird conservation and ecological health in the Colorado River Delta Region. Pp. 1085-1103 in D. J. Rapport, W. L. Lasley, D. E. Rolston, N. O. Nielsen, C. Q. Qualset, and A. B. Damania (Eds.), Managing for Healthy Ecosystems. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL USA. 1184 pp.
- 2003 Suchanek, T. H., P. J. Richerson, D. C. Nelson, C. A. Eagles-Smith, _____, J. J. Cech, Jr., R. Zierenberg, G. Schladow, J. F. Mount, S. C. McHatton, D. G. Slotton, L. B. Webber, B. J. Swisher, A. L. Bern, and M. Sexton. Evaluating and managing a multiply-stressed ecosystem at Clear Lake, California: a holistic ecosystem approach. Pp. 1233-1265 in D. J. Rapport, W. L. Lasley, D. E. Rolston, N. O. Nielsen, C. Q. Qualset, and A. B. Damania (Eds.), Managing for Healthy Ecosystems. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL USA.
- 2003 Jehl, J. R., Jr., W. S. Boyd, D. S. Paul, and _____. Massive collapse and rapid rebound: population dynamics of eared grebes (Podiceps nigricollis) during an ENSO event. Auk 119:1162-1166.
- 2004 Henny, C. J., and ______. Status of nesting ospreys in coastal Baja California, Sonora, and Sinaloa, Mexico, 1977 and 1992-93. Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences 103:95-114.
- 2005 _______, D. T. King, and J. Coulson (Eds.). The biology and conservation of the American White Pelican. Waterbirds 28 (Special Publ. 1):1-112.
- 2005 _______, and D. T. King. Introduction: biology and conservation of the American White Pelican. Waterbirds 28 (Special Publ. 1):1-8.
- 2005 D. T. King, and _______. Recent population status of the American White Pelican: a continental perspective. Waterbirds 28 (Special Publ. 1):48-53.
- 2005 Moreno-Matiella, L. A., and ________. Water level variation and its effects on nesting habitat configuration and availability for the American White Pelican at Clear Lake Reservoir, California. Waterbirds 28 (Special Publ. 1):73-82.
- 2005 Velarde, E., J.-L. Cartron, H. Drummond, _______, F. R. Gallardo, E. Palacios, and C. Rodriguez. Nesting seabirds of the Gulf of California’s offshore islands: diversity, ecology, and conservation. Pp. 452-470 in J.-L. Cartron, G. Ceballos, and R. S. Felger (Eds.), Biodiversity, ecosystems, and conservation in northern Mexico. Oxford University Press, London. 496 pp.